Bronchial Brushings Question

KENMAN4210 kenman4210 at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 10:58:55 EST 1999

At the insistence of a new pulmonary doc our lab is now performing quantitative
cultures on all bronchial brushings received. Is this really necessary? Also
there is some debate on how best to prepare smears. To have the smear reflect
colony counts on the routine cultures we need a calibrated loop, but most
brushings have fungal and AFB cultures and some techs feel smears for these
should be made directly from the brush to avoid any dilution from the saline
used in the routine culture. I would appreciate any help in settling this
dilemma.