Cutting Board Experiment

szat at my-dejanews.com szat at my-dejanews.com
Fri Mar 5 09:41:00 EST 1999

In article <19990304232555.21719.00003688 at ng127.aol.com>,
  nsuyeda at aol.com (N S Uyeda) wrote:
> >About the experiment, it has been done before. Wood came out better in the
> >long
> >run. It explained why butchers use wooden blocks.
>
> In real life I suspect that plastic would do better. At least in my kitchen I
> flush the plastic board with bleach solution or strong detergent, but I give
> wood more of a quick wipe because of possible warping and opening of the
grain.
> Plastic goes in the dishwasher too. And an antibacterial plastic (what is that
> anyway?)

The antibacterial plastic you're referring to is plastic containing the
antibacterial agent, triclosan.  When incorporated in plastics, it goes under
the name of Microban - been used in things from children's plastic toys all
the way to plastic garbage bags.  Triclosan is also found in the
antibacterial dishwashing detergents, and has even found it's way into the
newer toothpastes like Crest Ultra and Colgate Total.  Triclosan seems to
work by inhibiting fatty acid synthesis in bacteria.

George Szatmari
Dept. de microbiologie
Univ. de Montreal