Cutting Board Experiment

N S Uyeda nsuyeda at
Thu Mar 4 23:25:55 EST 1999

>About the experiment, it has been done before. Wood came out better in the
>run. It explained why butchers use wooden blocks.

In real life I suspect that plastic would do better. At least in my kitchen I
flush the plastic board with bleach solution or strong detergent, but I give
wood more of a quick wipe because of possible warping and opening of the grain.
Plastic goes in the dishwasher too. And an antibacterial plastic (what is that
anyway?) was the only plastic board I found on my last trip to our local
I just never did think that experiment would hold true in the kitchen of any
semi-informed cook.
S. Uyeda