Cutting Board Experiment

Phyllis Williams pwilliam at sinclair.edu
Fri Mar 5 10:22:03 EST 1999

This discussion about the antibacterial ingredient in plastics,
toothpastes, soaps, handwashing gel, toys, plastic bags,...etc is making
me wonder whether we will someday have a problem of resistance to these
products much like the antibiotic resistance problem we have today.  Is
industry going too far in playing on the fears of the public to sell new
bacteria-fighting everyday products?  My granddaughter tells me that her
kindergarten teacher has the children use antibacterial gel every time
they go to the bathroom.  Is this a good practice?

Phyllis Williams
Biology Dept Chair
Sinclair Community College
Dayton, OH