Need advice on resolving bacteriophage mix

John Scott Meschke jmeschke at sph.unc.edu
Sun Mar 7 14:24:44 EST 1999

I am currently having a problem resolving a mixture of male-specific RNA
coliphages from male-specific DNA coliphages.  I am interested in
purifying the RNA phage.  I have tried to plaque purify (3 times in
sequence), as well as plaque purifying using a composite antisera
against prototype F+ DNA coliphages (again three times in sequence) with
no luck. It seems to me that these techniques should have worked ( I
would have bet that I would have better odds of winning the lottery than
failing with both techniques).  Please give me any insight you may have
regarding the persistence of this mix or anyway to resolve it.  Thank
you very much in advance.

Scott Meschke