Good selective media for Gram+ bugs

Judy/Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Tue Mar 9 19:10:23 EST 1999

Our lab routinely uses CNA - Columbia 5% Sheep Blood agar with Colistin
and Naladixic acid - for all wound cultures, MRSA screens (on specimens
that may have gram negatives) and sometimes really messy urine
specimens. A hospital I worked for previously used this on all sputum
specimens as they had a lot of vent patients that were colonized with
gram negative rods.  As long as you don't have gram negatives that are
resistant to these drugs, this should work.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology