STREPTOCOCCUS OF KNEE

Judy/Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Wed Mar 10 09:34:25 EST 1999

There is no such thing as a "streptococcal fungal infection."
Streptococcus is a bacteria, not a fungus.  I think what you're trying
to say is that your friend had a streptococcal infection of the synovial
fluid.  By saying that, you are saying that it is a bacterial
infection.  Pardon the pickiness, but when you post on the scientific
newsgroups, scientists want to know EXACTLY what you mean.  Do you have
the name of the exact streptococcus?  Sometimes they are reported out as
"Group A Beta strep," "Group B Beta Strep" or by genus and species, e.g.
Streptococcus pyogenes, Enterococcus faecalis, etc.  It would help if we
could go from there.

Thanks.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology