Sensitivity to vancomycin/Lactobacilli

Ralf Ralf.Hartemink at micro.fdsci.wau.nl
Wed Mar 17 07:37:54 EST 1999

I don't know the exact sensitivity, but the LAMVAB medium uses 20 mg/l
(J. Micr. Meth. 29(97)77-84) for the isolation of faecal lactobacilli.
Leuconostocs and Pediococci are no problem there. Most lactobacilli
grow on this agar, including all faecal strains. Not all dairy strains
grow (helveticus is sensitive).
Some acidophilus strains grow very poorly on the 20 mg/l, but they do
grow at 10 mg/l.
Another paper Antimicr. Ag. Chemotherapy 34(1990)543-549 describes MIC
values for lactobacilli, leuconostocs and pediococci, but not on
species level, just genus level.
In the LAMVAB paper more articles on resistance are cited.

Ralf Hartemink
Food Microbiology Group
Wageningen Agricultural University
The Netherlands