B.cereus

John Ireland ireland at duke.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:59:21 EST 1999

I have to agree.  I work on a Bacillus species related to B. cereus, and
the standard protocol for killing vegetative cells is 80 degrees for 20
minutes or even 65 degrees for 45 minutes.  I guess a very small number
of vegetative cells could survive the heat treatment depending on the
density of the suspension and the heat transfer properties, but it would
hardly be a large number.  At the least I can say that I have never
found vegetative contamination in my heat-treated (80/20) samples of
B.cereus.

John