Uses of penicillin.

Judy/Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Wed May 26 22:01:43 EST 1999

Our micro lab has seen a large increase in penicillin resistant
Streptococcus pneumoniae just this last winter and spring, mostly with
very young children. I never thought I'd ever see S. pneumo this
resistant - not just to penicillin (by disc diffusion - we report it
with a disclaimer that an MIC should be done to confirm it; some labs
use E-test but we are not at the present time) but to other drugs as
well.  We run erythromycin, trimethoprim/sulfa, vancomycin, penicillin
[read with the oxacillin disc per NCCLS procedure], and tetracycline,
and we had a couple of isolates that were only sensitive to vanco by
disc diffusion on blood Mueller Hinton.  Scary!

Also, it seems to me that I read some CDC guidelines about treating
STD's a couple of years ago.  Is penicillin alone used that often
anymore or are they using a cephalosporin (not a first generation, but a
second I believe - maybe ceftriaxone) to treat, as many people with GC
also have chlamydia?

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology