Systematic approach to restriction mapping?

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Thu Nov 4 10:43:38 EST 1999

This is a very elementary at senior UG or graduate level. It should have
been discussed in your class. If you missed the session, you should go and
talk to your teacher and s/he should explain it again. Alternatively, try
and get together with your fellow students and work the problem
collectively... it could be fun!

At 08:13 PM 10/29/99 -0600, Bob Tacon wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Is there a systematic approach to restriction mapping? Especially when
>you are working with several enzymes it is getting difficult to find the
>possible combinations and determine the order of the restriction sites.
>All literature I found only uses simple digestions with not more than
>two enzymes.
>
>Example: A plasmid was cut with four different enzymes. Double and
>triple digestions were also performed. The results are:
>
>Cut with EcoRI                               10
>Cut with HindIII                              5 , 3 , 2
>Cut with with HaeIII                        6.5 , 3.5
>Cut with BgI II                                6 , 4
>Cut with HindIII + BgI II                 4 , 3, 2 , 1
>Cut with HindIII + HaeIII                5, 2 , and 2 moles of 1.5
>Cut with HaeIII + BgI II                  4 , 3.5 , 2.5
>Cut with HindIII + HaeIII + BgI II   4, 2 , 2 moles of 1.5 , 1
>
>How would you best approach such a restriction mapping problem?
>

>Bob

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
GENE LAB/ EPPWS
New Mexico State University