Agar diffusion assays of antibiotics: (semi) automatic zone readers

Hilde Bastaerts h.bastaerts at
Sun Nov 7 14:26:37 EST 1999

Who has good (or bad) experience with an automatic or semi-automatic zone
reader for microbiological agar diffusion assays of antibiotics?

In our lab we use both the USP (5+1 dose level, on 9 cm petri dishes) and
the Ph. Eur (3+3 dose level, on 25 cm square plates) designs.

Any information on suppliers and makes of such equipment, as well as
experiences with the use of such equipment would be welcome.

Hilde Bastaerts
Microbiology Lab Manager
Alcon Belgium
Hilde.Bastaerts at