Effect of disinfectants on bacterial growth

PEEBLESHS peebleshs at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 08:19:45 EST 1999

I am a sixth year pupil at Peebles High School in Scotland.  For my sixth year
studies Biology project I am investigating the effects of various germicides on
bacterial growth.  I am using E. coli. Staph. Albus and Micrococcus Luteus.  I
have chosen a phenolic containing disinfectant, hydrogen peroxide, bleach and
two surfactants - Dettox and a washing up liquid - as my germicide.  I would
like more information about how these work, particularly surfactants.  What
does anionic, nonionic, cationic and amphoteric mean when applied to
surfactants?  Are there any other types of surfactant?
I am going to choose the most effective germicide and use different
concentrations against the same bacteria to find the most effective.