SV: Pronunciation of a word

Lars Nyhln lars.nyhlen at
Fri Oct 22 13:17:12 EST 1999

Andrea <apatchy_tea at> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:DQ7H3.883$xJ4.57804 at
> I was wondering if anyone could help me in pronouncing:
> Escherichia coli
> I know coli, but the other one...
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrea
> It is not very important how you pronounce it. . Scientific latin names
are international, but the pronounciation depends on the mother tounge of
the speaker. It doesn´t matter if you pronounce with a german soft ch or
english (t)ch or as a k. The name is not pure latin but a late construction.
Escherich is a german family name. No romans have pronounced it in latin.
Distorted latin is internationally accepted as long as it is understood!

Lars Nyhlén, Sweden