SV: Pronunciation of a word

Geoff Crawford access_academix at
Tue Oct 26 00:41:40 EST 1999

Ahhhh yes but to be perfectly correct the name should be in italics or
underlined and there should be a full stop (period?) after the E denoting
abbreviation.  Thus

E. coli (sorry my Email does not allow italics) but only AFTER the name has
been mentioned in full the first time.

In Australia we pronounce it Esh er e shi a.  But the correct pronounciation
should be as per the language of "Escherich" after whom the bug was named.
Any ideas from our European friends about this??

Dr Geoff Crawford
Access Academix
89 Dellfield Drive
Templestowe VIC 3106