SV: Pronunciation of a word

Gary Lum glum at
Tue Oct 26 20:06:56 EST 1999

Geoff Crawford <access_academix at> wrote in message
news:7v3f9q$6fr$1 at

> In Australia we pronounce it Esh er e shi a.  But the correct
> should be as per the language of "Escherich" after whom the bug was named.
> Any ideas from our European friends about this??

Not everyone in Australia pronounces it that way.  Remember Australia is
pretty diverse when it comes to English usage, words are pronounced
differently between states and (in larger states) even within a state.  I've
heard Australian academics and clinicians use all sorts of variations on the
pronunciation for this bacterium.

Dr Gary Lum, Director of Pathology, Royal Darwin Hospital
Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
mailto:glum at