maltophilia versus multophilia

Quixote quixote at writeme.com
Tue Apr 4 02:36:20 EST 2000

Hello.  I am a medical transcriptionist who recently ran into something
new today and am looking for some clarification.  I have used the
spelling maltophilia for organisms such as Stenotrophomonas maltophilia
and Pseudomonas maltophilia, etc.  Today I had a doctor spell out
Stenotrophomonas "multophilia".  I thought it a fluke as I daily get
misspellings from doctors but decided to web search anyway and lo and
behold I got some hits.  My questions would be (1) is this an alternate
spelling of the same organism, (2) is one of these spellings actually
incorrect, or (3) is this a different organism from maltophilia? Any help
would be greatly appreciated and would help to keep accuracy in patient's
medical records.

Quixote