maltophilia versus multophilia

David B. Hedrick davidbhedrick at
Tue Apr 4 14:29:52 EST 2000

1.  I don't think that alternate spelling of Latin bionomials is

2.  Only one is correct.

3.  I did a quick search and found nothing for "multophila".
"Maltophila" means malt-loving, so multophila would "mean loves
> Hello.  I am a medical transcriptionist who recently ran into something
> new today and am looking for some clarification.  I have used the
> spelling maltophilia for organisms such as Stenotrophomonas maltophilia
> and Pseudomonas maltophilia, etc.  Today I had a doctor spell out
> Stenotrophomonas "multophilia".  I thought it a fluke as I daily get
> misspellings from doctors but decided to web search anyway and lo and
> behold I got some hits.  My questions would be (1) is this an alternate
> spelling of the same organism, (2) is one of these spellings actually
> incorrect, or (3) is this a different organism from maltophilia? Any help
> would be greatly appreciated and would help to keep accuracy in patient's
> medical records.
> Quixote

Technical writing, literature search, and data analysis at the interface
of chemistry and biology.

	davidbhedrick at

	David B. Hedrick
	P.O. Box 16082