maltophilia versus multophilia

Quixote quixote at writeme.com
Wed Apr 5 00:45:12 EST 2000

In article <38EA6718.75EB42B8 at megsinet.net>, dilworth at megsinet.net
says...
> Just because they're a doctor doesn't mean they can spell.  I've never ever
> heard of "multophilia."  Stick to your guns.
>
> Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
> Microbiology in hiatus
>
> Quixote wrote:
>
> > Hello.  I am a medical transcriptionist who recently ran into something
> > new today and am looking for some clarification.  I have used the
> > spelling maltophilia for organisms such as Stenotrophomonas maltophilia
> > and Pseudomonas maltophilia, etc.  Today I had a doctor spell out
> > Stenotrophomonas "multophilia".  I thought it a fluke as I daily get
> > misspellings from doctors but decided to web search anyway and lo and
> > behold I got some hits.  My questions would be (1) is this an alternate
> > spelling of the same organism, (2) is one of these spellings actually
> > incorrect, or (3) is this a different organism from maltophilia? Any help
> > would be greatly appreciated and would help to keep accuracy in patient's
> > medical records.
> >
> > Quixote

Thanks everyone for you help.  It seems the culprit that was bringing up
the hits on multophilia via Dogpile was a misspelling in a reprint from
an FDA warning about a Clinipad Antiseptic Sterile Products recall.
Funny how the doctor dictating picked up on the same misspelling.  Don't
worry, I never trust a doctor's spelling alone.

Quixote