Info on Gordona amarae

marty marty38 at
Tue Apr 18 20:57:00 EST 2000

In article
<0D907816B00AD211A93300A0C9B3BBE6F7CCC7 at>,
jswolgemuth at wrote:

> I am writing from Lancaster Laboratories, an independent analytical lab
> providing chemistry and microbiological services to the Pharmaceutical
> Industry.  We recently isolated and ID'd Gordona amarae in a sample and
> are
> interested in getting additional information on this organism.  Any info
> you
> could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!
> ---

Here's the scoop from the online catalogue of The American Type Culture

There are more Gordonia sp in our collection

Martin Gross
American Type Culture Collection
mgross at

Gordonia amarae (Lechevalier and Lechevalier) Klatte et al. deposited as
Nocardia amarae
Designation:  Se 6 [CCM 2753; DSM 43392; IMET 7518; IMRU W3960; JCM
3171; KCC A-0171; N667; NCIB 11222]

             H.A. Lechevalie

             foam on activated sludge, Florida

Type Strain:
             type strain [RF4738] [RF18262] [RF18983] [RF19565]

              nomenclature [RF48654]

        RF4738: Approved lists of bacterial names. Int. J. Syst.
Bacteriol. 30: 225-420, 1980

        RF18262: Lechevalier MP and Lechevalier HA. Nocardia amarae sp.
nov., an actinomycete common in foaming activated sludge. Int. J. Syst.
Bacteriol. 24: 278-288, 1974

         RF18983: Klatte S et al. Transfer of Rhodococcus aichiensis
Tsukamura 1982 and Nocardia amarae Lechevalier and Lechevalier
1974 to the genus Gordona as Gordona aichiensis comb. nov. and Gordona
amarae comb. nov. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 44: 769-773, 1994 PubMed:

        RF19565: Goodfellow M et al. Transfer of Nocardia amarae
Lechevalier and Lechevalier 1974 to the genus Gordona as Gordona
amarae comb. nov. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 19: 401-405, 1994 PubMed:

        RF48654: Stackebrandt E et al. Proposal for a new hierarchic
classification system, Actinobacteria classis nov. Int. J. Syst.
Bacteriol. 47: 479-491, 1997

                           ATCC medium: 25 Yeast extract-glucose medium
                           Temperature: 26C