An Observation On Pseudomonas Odor

annie_t at annie_t at
Sun Aug 13 12:19:51 EST 2000

We have sweets here in the UK called "Pear drops" and when I was a
student the smell of Pseudomonas was compared to pear drops.

Unfortunately, to this day, I've never been able to eat them without
thinking about Ps aeruginosa. Just as well there's nothing that smells
like chocolate!

I can remember 1 fungus that sometimes contaminated our Hoyles plates
that stank of garlic!

I now work with faeces all day (!!) and you'd be amazed at the number
that smell like (and contain undigested) mashed banana!

I'm gradually going of banana butties now :o((

Anne :o)

In article <3994CF49.A696801D at>,
  Dilworth <dilworth at> wrote:
> I agree!  I've never seen the similarity to the smell of grapes
> Pseudomonas aeruginosa does have a distinctive smell, and the other
> Pseudomonads don't smell like it.
> Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
> Microbiology
> Yersinia wrote:
> > ......... I've smelled pure cultures of it and to me it has NEVER
> > like grapes or any other kind of fruit..........

Sent via
Before you buy.