science writing - why I'm doing it

Brian Hoyle hoyle at
Tue Aug 22 13:20:52 EST 2000

To All,

Having had an inquiry in response to the recent posting, wondering why I
became a popular/technical science writer, and if my science writing was
a retreat from the scientific battlefield, I thought I would briefly

My journey away from the lab bench was not prompted by funding cuts,
academic difficulties or the like. Rather, it was because I decided that
the communication of science was the area where I felt most comfortable
and was most inclined. The doing of the science was not a comfortable
zone for me. But it took a long time to shake off the blinders that,
because I was trained as an academic researcher, that was what I must

We all contribute to science, if we choose, in different ways. My
present path is one of many. So far it works for me.

I hope the explanation is useful to the person who wrote me.

Cheers, Brian