science writing - why I'm doing it

Flavius Vespasian noone9999999 at
Tue Aug 22 19:33:41 EST 2000

In article <39A2C484.A5F5E4D2 at>, Brian Hoyle <hoyle at> wrote:
>To All,
>Having had an inquiry in response to the recent posting, wondering why I
>became a popular/technical science writer, and if my science writing was
>a retreat from the scientific battlefield, I thought I would briefly
>My journey away from the lab bench was not prompted by funding cuts,
>academic difficulties or the like. Rather, it was because I decided that
>the communication of science was the area where I felt most comfortable
>and was most inclined. The doing of the science was not a comfortable
>zone for me. But it took a long time to shake off the blinders that,
>because I was trained as an academic researcher, that was what I must
>We all contribute to science, if we choose, in different ways. My
>present path is one of many. So far it works for me.
>I hope the explanation is useful to the person who wrote me.
>Cheers, Brian

How about a piece on H-1Bull visas?

John - N8086N
Big brother is watching. Disable cookies in your web browser.
Wise man says "Never use a bank with the initials F. U."
Are you interested in a professional society or
guild for programmers? Want to fight section 1706?

EMail Address:
_m-i-a-n-o_ at _c_o_l_o_s_s_e_u_m_b_u_i_l_d_e_r_s._c_o_m_