Bread Microbiology

Suzie suzie at inet.net.nz
Tue Feb 1 00:04:19 EST 2000

Well for a start, the species of yeast added to the bread is Saccharomyces
cerevisiae. This is standard bakers yeast. This would probably make up the main
component of organisms within bread.
There would be some bacteria from the handling of baked goods, such as
Staphylococcus and Streptococcus.
There might also be some fungi, probably from spores in the air. Also some
bacteria, from surfaces on which it is placed.

Hope this helps,
Suzie