Bread Microbiology

Warren Place wrplace at mailbox.ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 1 02:39:33 EST 2000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Tim Marsh wrote:
> Can anyone help,
>
> I am trying to find information about the microbiological characteristics of
> bread and hotplate goods (eg, crumpets and pancakes): what organisms are
> most commonly found in bakeries; good practice for bakery production; how to
> identify the various bacteria / yeast / mould and so on.
>
> If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be a happy bunny!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tim
	There are also many lactic acid bacteria in some very popular
breads (I live near San Francisco, CA where you can't find a grocery store
that doesn't stock a few of the area's world-famous sourdough breads).
For the strains and some info on them you could start at
SOURDOUGHS INTERNATIONAL'S website:
http://www.sourdo.com/
Never tried one of their starters, but if I ever have to buy one it will
be from them (I have heard great things).  I gave you the address, now get
hopping!

Warren Place