This newsgroup is utterly dreadful....

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Fri Feb 11 08:26:54 EST 2000

In article
<6408F335A197D3118E230000F802ED3112FBC1 at atmmail.rtdm.techaust.riotinto.c
om.au>, David.Barr at riotinto.com.au ("Barr, David (RTD)") wrote:

>  For me, using the
> internet to short circuit a trawl through an academic library *is* using
> initiative.

Depends whether you want someone to spoonfeed you the answer or to tell
you where to look.

For example, if I'm interested in working with someone who has a project
addressing the regulation of spon in response to wibble, then I'd do a
PubMed search.  If that failed to turn up anything then I'd probably ask
an appropriate froup, but say what research I'd already attempted.

OTOH, if I were an undergraduate being asked to find out about the
regulation of spon in response to wibble then, if I asked about it I'd
ask for pointers, so an answer such as 'Look at PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed '
would be useful.

Just my tuppence.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/index.html
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk