Career in the Microbio Sciences

giner ginerNOgiSPAM at myremarq.com.invalid
Tue Feb 15 14:02:33 EST 2000

And the filtering system doesn't neccessarily filter out the
so-so scientists, it filters out the ones who can't or won't
tolerate all the bull*@&* involved in an academic career. And
sometimes the ones that are left aren't really the cream of the
crop.

But, as others have said, it's not impossible to have an academic
career. You just really need to go into it with your eyes open.
And ask your professors if they really like what they are doing.
And always be aware that you can change your mind. I've seen
people stick with a career path that is no longer right for them,
and they are miserable. It's very important to be flexible and
keep an eye out for opportunities and changes in direction when
they feel right.

And start collecting cardboard boxes now, because you will be
relocating several times in your career.

-giner, who is feeling rather cranky today

In article <38AA426C.E1EFCCDF at biocomp.unl.edu>, Chris Larosa
<clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu> wrote:
>Well I must agree with parts of J. Hu's statement,,,,I make a
little joke with the
>phrase be afraid....I mean plan plan plan and be extremely
discriminating, and be
>prepared to work like hell.   Nevertheless  the activity itself
is very
>compelling.    Some people, myself included are just addicted to
working in the
>lab.   I must admit I have no hard data on the applicant
numbers.   But I do have
>first hand experience working in a big lab group and I know the
sucess rate versus
>failure rate.    This was in my experience about 50 percent .
About half of the
>graduate students dropped out before getting a PhD.   Ok.. now
some were rewarded a
>PhD , but really were lousy scientists,   some just decided to
drop out after
>getting the degree and some went on to postdocing.   Some got
good postdocs....
>some got bad ones....for what ever reasons their own fault are
whatever.....some
>still on track and some got jobs.....Through each layer of the
academic pyramid
>scheme there is a filtering process.   I dont have hard numbers
for the current
>trend for every field.    But in my experience the probability
of sucess is low.
>10's of thousand of dollars are spent on careers through this
long training
>process, with I and Art Sower's would suggest is an unexceptable
failure rate.  Is
>the personal cost and risk worth it to the individual?? That is
up to the
>individual..... Of course career choises shift and careers
sucess and failures
>alter our paths through life.    But lets get clear...academic
careers are hard,
>and opportunities for advancement have decreased over the last
30 years.    So as
>we all seem to agree, be very very discriminating on what
graduate program you go
>to.
>I am glad there is a newsgroup site where we discuss this issue
in a free
>forum....    Just try to bring it up in your own academic
environment and your