Career in the Microbio Sciences

Arthur Sowers arthures at magpage.com
Tue Feb 15 19:58:54 EST 2000

I don't think the advice on having "fear" is bad. The grad school part is
easy. The postdoc part is easy. The problem is getting that first _real_
job afterwards (and I mean one with some job security). Then, getting
tenure (if in academia). In industry, you can always be at some nice
company with a _nominally_ permanent job, but if your company merges then
there will be layoffs (because there almost always are). If your company
reorganizes or gets a new CEO, vice prez, division cheif....then there
could be a reorganization. This usually means new people are hired and old
people are fired. And, that is because, ususally, that really is the way
things work.

The other piece of advice (besides having your radar turned on, and
looking over the shoulders) I have is: start working on a fall-back plan.

Yes, attrition is everywhere. Not everyone who wants to be another base
ball star (eg. Babe Ruth, etc) is going to make it. Actually most will
fail. Same for movie stars, other sports, famous artists, musicians, and
rich people, and presidents of the USA. There will be only one Nobel
winner every year even though maybe 100 are doing that quality of work.
Marriage: 50% will fail. 84% remarry. 60% of remarriages also fail. In the
end, we will all die. The real trick is to find some happiness and
fulfilment. At least I did have a career as a grant funded PI for 14
years. Buuuuuuuut, I would think academia could be more civilized towards
its own brethern and its students.

Its still ironic that in the military, where the goal is pain, death,
destruction to the enemy and his lands, the troops all help each other
out, bring back the wounded, bring back the bodies of those killed in
action. But in academia, those who falter or get denied tenure or get
their grants turned down all go out to the dumpster and are just flat out
forgotten. "Old soldiers don't die, they fade away" but scientists get
vaporized by chairs, tenure review committees, grant review committees,
etc. Those who can only get adjunct positions will live a life of
purgatory.

Art

=== no change to below, included for reference and context ====