Career in the Microbio Sciences

Wayne wlogsdon at erols.com
Fri Feb 18 00:44:22 EST 2000

Great comments Dr. Art:

            As an EE in industry, it all applies there too.  Corporations
exist for one reason.  To make money for the stock holders.  Globalization
and the disintegration of nationalism has made life worse for the citizens
of  industrialized countries, and great for the multinational big guys.  In
electronics the hot degree for now is computer science.  Due much to PCs and
microprocessors, there is a lot less hardware designing and drafting going
on now, in the U.S.,  than there was 30 years ago.  30 years from now the
bulk of the U.S. software may be written in India.  Who knows?  When I
worked for G.E. in the early 90s, Jack Welsh make a statement to all 300,000
employees; "G.E. offers jobs, not careers".  Great moral booster huh?  In
other words, don't get comfortable.  Every time there is a merger, it
creates layoffs, and a chance to remove the excess pension money too.
Layoffs churn employees and reduce pension costs.  Universities are
corporations too.  they sell knowledge.

            Wayne