Long Term Use of Antibiotics

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Fri Feb 18 07:57:22 EST 2000

In article <88jdjc$r7e$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, m_e_price at my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm worried about my daughter Kate. She's been on antibiotics now for
> over 6 months and her acne isn't inproving. Her doctor is adamant that
> it will work in time.

Hmm what antibiotics has she been subscribed?

I was given a topical cream when I was 15, can't remember what it was
called, but basically my face peeled (yuk!) for a couple of days, then
(in conjunction with tetracycline) the acne cleared up.  I don't believe
that systemic antibiotics alone are horribly effective at making acne go
away - they may be useful once the acne has been knocked back, to
prevent recurrence.

Your doctor's right - in time, it will clear up . . . when she's 21 . . .

rgds,

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/index.html
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk