Career in the Microbio Sciences

wayne conlan wayne.conlan at nrc.ca
Fri Feb 18 08:08:31 EST 2000

Jim Hu wrote:

> Matt,
>
> If you've followed this thread, you know that I'm somewhat more optimistic
> than most of the posters.
> Specifically regarding microbiology, however, there are some reasons for a
> little more hope than a lot of other life sci careers.

(lots of pertinent stuff snipped by this respondent)

Hi Jim:
        I'm afraid I have to disagree with your opinion on this.  Microbiology
PhDs are ten a penny right now.  The American Society for Microbiology  released a
study last year that painted a pretty bleak picture.  It found that the median
starting salary for a 1997 PhD in microbiology was $29000 (the figure for chemists
was $65000).  Personally, I can't see demand outstripping supply any time soon. Of
course, if you're an exceptional individual, you'll probably do well whatever your
chosen career.  I'd still advise a MD/PhD or DVM/PhD path, for the reasons several
others have stated on this thread.

Regards,

Wayne.