Bacterial Plasmids

lars albert_63 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 08:35:36 EST 2000

Dear Andreas,
Well, it depends a lot on the bacterial species and on the sizes of the
plasmids you want to isolate (and what you would like to do with these
plasmids).

We have used a very simple method to visualize large plasmids from
various Bacilli; Bacilli are relatively tough to disrupt and the large
plasmids have to be handled with care. A single nick in one DNA strand
turns the plasmid into the open circle conformation which do not enter
an agarose gel (plasmids > 20 kbp). However, the purity of the plasmids
are not suitable for enzymatic digests etc.

A free PDF-version of the article can be seen at:

http://jb.asm.org/cgi/reprint/177/10/2914?view=reprint&pmid=7751306

Yours

Lars

Andreas Toba wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is the first time I write to a newsgroup.
>
> Here is my problem
>
> I'm working with several natural occuring bacteria. I'm trying to isolate
> their plasmids, it's very difficult. I'm using Birnboin & Dolly and Kado &
> Liu protocols, sometimes those protocols don't work. Does anyone knows other
> protocols for isolate natural plasmids?
>
> Thanks in advance
> excuse my english, please.
>
> Andreas Toba
> from Caracas Venezuela (Universidad Central de Venezuela, Instituto de
> Biología Experimental)

*   Lars Andrup, phd  -  National Inst.Occup.Health   *
*               Copenhagen, Denmark                   *
* Tel: +45 3916-5223 |  e-mail: la at ami.dk             *
* Fax: +45 3916-5201 |  www.ami.dk/research/andrup    *