isolation Bacillus thuringensis

panne at panne at
Thu Feb 24 09:31:14 EST 2000

We have tried to isolate BT from soil samples using the protocol from R.S.
Travers et al. (1987, Appl. Env. Microbiol, 53:1263-1266) without much
success. The method uses a heat selection and spore outgrowth in medium
containing 0.25 M sodium acetate. Apparently, BT does not sporulate under
these conditions and can therefore be enriched by subsequent heat

Did anybody use this method successfully? Does anybody have a better BT
isolation protocol or an idea from which sources we may have more luck?