Rotavirus incubation in pets

lamb L.A.M.Buisman at cable.A2000.nl
Sun Jan 2 11:06:32 EST 2000

Somehow rotavirus can hang around somewhere. In the hospital I work there
has been a rota problem in pediatrics for a few months now. Every time the
epidemic seems to have stopped and everything is thoroughly cleaned it
flares up again. Happened a few times now, and a big survey is done at this
moment to find the cause. No cats in that hospital though!!

WHO:
In tropical developing countries, rotavirus disease occurs throughout the
year. Several viral serotypes may operate simultaneously in the same
geographical area, and infection with more than 1 strain in individual
patients is common. In industrialized countries in temperate climates,
rotavirus infections peak during the winter season and mixed infections are
uncommon. Rotavirus is transmitted by the faecal-oral route and a small
inoculum may cause infection. Animal reservoirs for human rotavirus
infection are not known to exist, and asymptomatic human carriers do not
seem be a major source of sporadic cases. Rotavirus may cause hospital
infections in children, and are associated with diarrhoea in travellers, the
elderly and  caretakers of small children.
http://www.who.int/gpv-dvacc/diseases/RotaPP.htm

Loes