Rotavirus incubation in pets

lamb L.A.M.Buisman at
Sun Jan 2 11:06:32 EST 2000

Somehow rotavirus can hang around somewhere. In the hospital I work there
has been a rota problem in pediatrics for a few months now. Every time the
epidemic seems to have stopped and everything is thoroughly cleaned it
flares up again. Happened a few times now, and a big survey is done at this
moment to find the cause. No cats in that hospital though!!

In tropical developing countries, rotavirus disease occurs throughout the
year. Several viral serotypes may operate simultaneously in the same
geographical area, and infection with more than 1 strain in individual
patients is common. In industrialized countries in temperate climates,
rotavirus infections peak during the winter season and mixed infections are
uncommon. Rotavirus is transmitted by the faecal-oral route and a small
inoculum may cause infection. Animal reservoirs for human rotavirus
infection are not known to exist, and asymptomatic human carriers do not
seem be a major source of sporadic cases. Rotavirus may cause hospital
infections in children, and are associated with diarrhoea in travellers, the
elderly and  caretakers of small children.