Anti-biotics and virus infections

Modem Modem at sciboard.spd.louisville.edu
Fri Jan 7 02:10:44 EST 2000

A_>Something I never though of before, why is the influenza virus treated with
A_>anti-biotics? Is this because bacteria feed off the waste products produced
A_>by virii or what? Just curious.

A_>--

A_>                                                Alexander Baron,
A_>                               E-Mail A_Baron at ABaron.Demon.Co.UK

A_>"He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself
A_>the accomplice of liars and forgers." - Charles Peguy

The reason I have heard is that it suppresses any bacteria present and
allows the body's imune system to work full time fighting the virus.
They put (or used-to) large amoounts of antibiotics is animal feed for
similar reasons.