Mycoplasma, AIDS, Gulf War

David Johnston johnstd at
Mon Jan 10 23:06:39 EST 2000

On Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:10:35 -0500, Neil McKenna <nmckenna at>

>Mycoplasma is an odd type of bacterium that has absolutely NO cell wall.
>There are two main members of the species: M. pneumoniae (causes
>pneumonia, usually in immunosuppressed individuals) and M. genitalium
>(causes an STD (I'm not sure which one)).

Incorrect.  It's genus-species; therefore, Mycoplasma is the genus and
pneumonia or genitalium are the species.
>I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities to see infections
>of either mycoplasma  in AIDS patients, considering they're

Both are seen in AIDS patients, but in otherwise healthy individuals
as well.  M. pneumoniae causes "walking pneuomia"; M. genitalium is
one of the etiologies of NGU, although it's frequently asymptomatic.

Dr. D. Johnston
johnstd at

dmj7 at