Oversupply of Ph.D.s in Canada?

Mr. M.J. Lush mlush at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 06:22:03 EST 2000

In article <Kux7OBWISsIFE=3c49mD+MFpr4=7 at 4ax.com>,
Bruce D. Winningham  <102742.3221 at compuserve.com> wrote:
>On 11 Jan 2000 16:01:26 GMT, mlush at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Mr. M.J. Lush)
>wrote:
>
>>IMHO in the UK Ph.D's are a sort cheap labour,  payed less than
>>a technition and expected to do a PostDoc job.
>
>Why would someone want to go through the trouble to get a PHd. then?

	Because the system relies of the goodwill and ignorance of
graduates who idealistically want to do research above all else.
(afterwards when they've had the idealism thesised out of them
the sensible ones leave science and get a job in the City).

	When I applied for my PhD I knew that I would be reducing
my lifetime earnings potential and entering a lifestyle with
no security and no career structure.  The reason I did it was because
I wanted to do (biological) research above all else and was willing
to sacrifice monetary reward to do it.  Doing a PhD is as vocation
not a career choice.

--

Michael              Ban DHMO Now!!   <http://www.dhmo.org/>