Anti-biotics and virus infections

spotsnall katzday at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 12 11:13:54 EST 2000

Second response to the below post--

Someone had stated incorrectly that antibiotics in animal feed somehow
suppressed or adversely affected the immune response.

Modem wrote:"The reason I have heard is that it suppresses any bacteria present
and
allows the body's imune system to work full time fighting the virus.
They put (or used-to) large amoounts of antibiotics is animal feed for
similar reasons."

I did not view the above quote as the product of a student asking a question
but rather as an assertion about mechanisms of antimicrobial action--"allows
the immune system to function," and that's why it is put in animal feeds, etc.

This assertion is so far from correct that my response was not aimed at
a serious question from a student but at what I viewed as a nonsense anser
by someone too ill informed to be participating in the discussion.

This offended you, for which I am sorry, since I can tell that overall
we hold essentially science based views and wish to promolgate these.

In article <387d0176.1123244 at news.rdu.bellsouth.net>, johnstd at labcorp.com
says...