Anti-biotics and virus infections

wayne conlan wayne.conlan at nrc.ca
Thu Jan 13 12:51:31 EST 2000

"Dr. David M. Johnston" wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2000 15:51:30 GMT, katzday at tamu.edu (spotsnall) wrote:
>
> >Your points are well taken.  No offense taken here at all.
> >

> Good--  none meant.
> Now that all that's out of the way, I look forward to more stimulating
> discourse about on-topic material!
>
> Cheers,
> David
> David Johnston

Hi:
    Ironically, according to an article in the New York Times today, the
FDA is now concerned that too many flu patients are being fobbed off with
Relenza or Tamiflu alone, when some of them have life-threatening
secondary bacterial infections too.  Some deaths are already being
attributed to this oversight.  Interestingly, the external panel of
experts FDA convened to rule on the use of Relenza voted by 13 to 4 not
to  approve it.  In an apparently unusual manner, FDA overruled its expert
panel and gave this drug approval.  Food for thought?

Regards,

Wayne.