Congress Bills against e-mail

Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com
Thu Jan 13 14:39:22 EST 2000

Bill A Nussbaumer at BDX
01/13/2000 02:38 PM

I've seen variations of this passed around before.  I believe it has a basis in
real bills but if taken at face value is nothing but lies.  I would strongly
encourage anyone to research this thouroughly before acting on it in any way.
(Including posting it to newsgroups or passing on to friends).

Bill Nussbaumer

>Will it ever end???
>CNN has reported that within the next two weeks Congress is going to
>vote on allowing telephone companies to CHARGE A TOLL FEE for Internet
>access.  Translation: Every time we send a long distance e-mail we will
>receive a long distance charge. This will get costly.  Please visit the
>following web site and file a complaint. Complain to
>your congressperson. We cannot allow this to pass! The following address
>will allow you to send an e-mail on this subject DIRECTLY to your
>Congressperson.
>http://www.house.gov/writerep
>Pass this on to your friends. It is urgent! I hope all of you will pass
>this on to all your friends and family. We should ALL have an interest in
>this one. WAIT, THERE'S MORE. IN ADDITION, the last few months have
>revealed an alarming trend in the Government of the United States
>attempting to quietly push through legislation that will affect your use of
>the Internet.
>Under proposed legislation the U.S. Postal Service will be attempting to
>bill email users out of "alternate postage fees." Bill 602P will permit the
>Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent surcharge on every email delivered, by
>billing Internet Service Providers at source. The consumer would then be
>billed in turn by the ISP. Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working
>without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law. The U.S. Postal
>Service is claiming that lost revenue due to the proliferation of email is
>costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year. You may have noticed their
>recent ad campaign, "There is nothing like a letter." Since the average
>citizen received about 10 pieces of email per day in 1998, the cost to the
>typical individual would be an additional 50 cents per day, or over $180
>dollars per year, above and beyond their regular Internet costs. Note that
>this would be money paid directly to the U.S. Postal Service for a service
>they do not even provide.  The whole point of the Internet is democracy and
>non-interference.  If the federal government is permitted to tamper with
>our liberties by adding a  surcharge to email, who knows where it will end.
>You are already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of
>bureaucratic inefficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to
>be delivered from New York to Buffalo. If the U.S. Postal Service is
>allowed to tinker with email, it will mark the end of the "free" Internet
>in the United States. One congressman, Tony Schnell(r) has even suggested a
>"twenty to forty dollar  per month surcharge on all Internet service" above
>and beyond the government's proposed email charges. Note that most of the
>major newspapers have ignored  the story, the only exception being the
>Washingtonian which called  the idea of email surcharge "a useful concept
>who's time has come" (March 6th, 1999) Editorial.  Don't sit by and watch
> [...]

---

---