About the extraction of fatty acid in yeast

Kyung Man You kmy4 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 14 15:43:10 EST 2000

Hi! Newsgroup,

I'm trying to extract total fatty acids in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae,
but I am not sure about my extraction procedure (The havested pellet is
washed with sterile water three times, spun briefly to remove as much water
as possible, and extracted with chloroform/methanol (2:1) at room temp. for
2 h. After solvent evaporation, the residue is treated with 0.5 M KOH in
methanol for 30 min, acidified with 1 M HCl, extract with hexane, and
concentrated under nitrogen. The resulting fatty acid methyl esters are
analyzed by GC/MS).

Can I get your comment or the exact procedure?

If you have any comment or new method about that, please let me know as soon
as possible.
Thank you!

-Kyung-
kmy4 at cornell.edu