E-Test

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 22:48:09 EST 2000

<< Hi, is anyone familiar with a commercial kit for detecting MRSA? It goes by
the name of E-Test from AB Biodisk. Can anyone tell me the cost of this
E-test o >>

An E-Test is a plastic strip impregnated with a gradient of an antibiotic so
that you can get an MIC by observing the growth around the strip. The point at
which the growth/inhibition line crosses the strip is the MIC read from the
scale printed on the strip.

We use some strips for our resistant Strep. pneumonia. They cost about $2.50
(US) per strip and are placed on a standard Mueller Hinton agar plate. Most
medical supply places should be able to get them. We get ours from Remel.
John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.