E-Test

Sak sak at execpc.dot.com
Mon Jan 17 18:23:45 EST 2000

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:28:03 +0100, lamb
<L.A.M.Buisman at cable.A2000.nl> wrote:

>Sak wrote:
>
>> The E-test is useful if an actual MIC is needed, but it takes 18-24
>> hour incubation. If MRSA or no MRSA is all you're looking for, Becton
>> Dickenson has a product through their BBL line called Crystal MRSA
>> that can be read in 4 hours by UV. I've helped implement the use of
>> this product in the clinical lab I work in and have found it quite
>> useful. Most of the time, it is used for detection and isolation of
>> MRSA for infection control.
>
>This is a test on cultured colonies, isn't it? Do you know any real figures about
>sensitivity and specificity?
>
>Loes

Yes, it's done on isolated colonies. I guess I meant to say that it
tests for methicillin resistance in known S. aureus colonies. I also
meant that we use it for isolation of patients with MRSA not isolating
the organism itself. Not too clear was I?

Being able to read the test in four hours allows us to get patients
into isolation a day earlier than waiting overnight for most other
methods that would give an MIC. They really don't care what the MIC
is, they just want to know if it's methicillin resistant.

As far as numbers, all I know is that BD tested some 600 or so
isolates and claim 100% accuracy.