E-Test

lamb L.A.M.Buisman at cable.A2000.nl
Tue Jan 18 16:29:41 EST 2000

Sorry, this could be a double reply. But my newsserver seems to refuse my postings.

Sak wrote:

> Yes, it's done on isolated colonies. I guess I meant to say that it
> tests for methicillin resistance in known S. aureus colonies. I also
> meant that we use it for isolation of patients with MRSA not isolating
> the organism itself. Not too clear was I?
>
> Being able to read the test in four hours allows us to get patients
> into isolation a day earlier than waiting overnight for most other
> methods that would give an MIC. They really don't care what the MIC
> is, they just want to know if it's methicillin resistant.

Exactly, methicillin resistance is important. Anything else is interesting for science

and epidemiology, I suppose.Does that mean that every Staph aureus is tested with the
B&D test?
Is the problem really that big where you are?

> As far as numbers, all I know is that BD tested some 600 or so
> isolates and claim 100% accuracy.

I was afraid so. Does anybody have independent figures?

Loes