PLFA or FAME question

Bryan dbd2 at psu.edu
Sat Jan 22 09:30:52 EST 2000

I am interested in eubacterial response to stress conditions observable
as changes in fatty-acid profiles.  I want to determine if limitations
on non-C nutrients cause changes in the Cy17:0 and the ratio of
trans/cis ratios for 16:1w7 and 18:1w7 as witnessed by D.C. White and
others in batch cultures of anaerobes.  It seems clear that the
cyclopropane acids are formed under anaerobic conditions, but I am
wondering if the stress response would be evident in 16: and 18: or
other FA's in mixed cultures under aerobic conditions.  Any help you
could provide would be appreciated.

David B Dail
dbd2 at psu.edu