Salmonella sp. vs. Proteus

Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Sat Jan 22 15:35:08 EST 2000

Years ago (1973-1978 or so), when our lab used "real media" instead of kits to
identify possible stool pathogens, we set up TSI, urea slant, SIM agar
(motility, indole, and H2S) and LIA on each  suspect isolate from our stool
culture media.  LIA is Lysine Iron Agar; it's been too many years to remember
all the reactions, but these four together screened out most non-pathogens
very well.  Any isolate that screened as Salmonella or Shigella was serotyped
and then put to the full battery of tests for Lactose negative organisms.  LIA
is a slant that you inoculate the same as a TSI slant (stab into the bottom
and then streak up).  It will also show H2S production.  I don't remember
relying on its reactions as much as the other three tubes.  Any basic micro
text will give reactions for these media.  Have fun.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology