Salmonella sp. vs. Proteus

Kostas Polyzonis polyzon at med.auth.gr
Sat Jan 22 13:40:04 EST 2000

lamb <L.A.M.Buisman at cable.A2000.nl> wrote in message
3888DB89.5FBE7686 at cable.A2000.nl...
>Proteus is urease positive, Salmonella never is. Using urea broth together
>with TSI or Kligler is a common method. Never fails. Citrobacter is
>lysine-decarboxylase negative, but that test gives some people problems.
>
>Loes
>
>hec wrote:
>
>> Hi does anyone know a good quick method, how to identify eg, Proteus
>> Mirabilis and Citrobacter without any fancy equipment. I make Salmonella
>> samples ( from poultry) every day, but often I get false results in
Triple
>> Sugar Iron. It would help me if I could identify Proteus M in the lab,
>> instead of spending a lot of money in sending the samples in for futher
>> identification. ( The danish law says that every Salmonella suspect
sample
>> should be sent in for identification.)
>> Thanks
>> Helle Christensen
>> helle_christensen at mail.tele.dk
In a lab I worked at for a while they were plating SS agar and used suspect
colonies to inoculate 2 test tubes: A Kligler slant and a test tube
containing the reagents for both urease and indole test. Thus one was
getting
lactose, glucose , hydrogen sulphide, urea and indole results by next day.
More biochemical tests(API strips or Vitek) and slide agglutination was then
performed on presumptive Salmonellae

Kostas Polyzonis