Salmonella sp. vs. Proteus

Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Wed Jan 26 19:40:24 EST 2000

My former lab director always used XLD medium (xylose/lactose/dextrose) for
stool cultures because he said it did a better job of cutting down on the
growth of Citrobacter and Proteus than did Hektoen agar.  We currently use
it for one of our primary plates, in addition to MacConkey, and
MacConkey/Sorbitol and Campy blood agar for our stool plating.  While it
doesn't entirely eliminate the other species, they don't come up on it that
often.  Suspect colonies on XLD are clear red, or clear with black centers
(H2S) while normal flora appears as yellow colonies.  It is an orange
medium that does not have to be autoclaved to make.

I've never used Selenite F.  Isn't that a broth medium?

Hi Anne!

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology