Around 33 percent GC

Anders Gorm Pedersen gorm at
Mon Jul 3 06:10:32 EST 2000

Susanne Rohrer wrote:
> Hi all,
> How can I find out the GC content of Staphylococcus aureus?

For what it's worth I just spent my coffe break downloading the
(unedited) contigs from the Sanger centres Staphylococcus aureus
sequencing project, and calculating the average nucleotide content. I
really should get myself a life.......

Sanger website:

These data may contain errors and may be redundant so you've been

The results are based on 66 contigs >1 kb in length each:

   Percentage     no. of nucleotides
A    33.33            957879
C    16.45            472735
G    16.27            467527
T    33.95            975453

Other:                    16

i.e., on average about 33% GC

Best regards,

 Anders Gorm Pedersen, cand.scient., Ph.D.  (gorm at

 Center for Biological Sequence Analysis
 Technical University of Denmark
 Bldg 208, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark

 phone: (+45) 45 25 24 84