T4 phage transduction

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 1 01:18:18 EST 2000

Rafael ,

You are correct. If Ned is still following this thread: Generalized
transduction occurs with phages that use headful packaging mechanisms,
these include P1, P22 and certain T4 mutants.  Wild-type T4 is not a good
generalized transducing phage, since destruction of the host genome
happens as part of the normal T4 life cycle.  T4 has advantages over P1
because it packages a larger DNA segment into transducing particles than
P1.

As for protocols, I haven't done T4 transduction but I found a fairly
recent reference that might be a good place to start.

Lin H. Black LW. DNA requirements in vivo for phage T4 packaging.
Virology. 242(1):118-27, 1998 Mar 1.

Hope this helps.

Jim Hu
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics